Sunday, May 13, 2018

Kevin's Letters 2

Dear Wrestling,

I want to be a little clearer about why it's so important to me to save the letters and other writings Kevin Owens has given us.

First, they're part of how the story was told, and that makes them invaluable. That more than anything. The story of Kevin Steen and El Generico is my favorite story, so of course I have to make sure they're available.

Second, I'm a wannabe academic. I hate helicopter parents and meetings, or I'd probably be a real one. From that perspective, if I ever write a thesis about this stuff, I'll want these--or whoever writes that thesis will.

I tend to try to cover the depth of feeling I have for Sami and Kevin with jokes and irreverence and histrionic shouting, but that's not even a clever, believable lie. It's a "there's nothing behind you" lie, a lie that tells the truth.

In some cases, we know what we lost--the fact that we will probably never see the actual final moments between he and Generico in Ring of Honor is crushing. In others, it is somehow possible to find new/old treasures, stuff that was forgotten, never mentioned, never asked about in a shoot interview...
I never knew Kevin wrote columns for his website. It turns out he did, five of them.  

Here are three more letters I found. The first two letters are from the feud with Generico. The last is to promote a match at C*4, and as a new fan of Speedball Mike Bailey, I was tickled to see him mentioned.

There's a lot here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

(All these were pulled from the archive of steenwrestling.com. I formatted them to be readable, since what was left on the archive was a mess.)

***Part One***

************************************************************************

Dear Colt,

I’m sorry. I really am. Steve is, too. We know the last year has been hell. And we also know that you probable think we were the reason for that. But I know that deep down inside, you know the truth. You know the reason why you were put through so much. You know the reason why you had to fight like a mad man and wage vicious wars, enduring incredible mental anguish and physical pain for months and months. It’s because you chose to stick up for the wrong person.

Now, don’t be too quick to stop reading and just pass this letter off as just another mind game because it’s not. Steve gave you his word, after the I Quit match in Chicago, that it was over, and for you, it is. We’re not trying to upset you or get under your skin here. This is exactly what it looks like. An apology.

We are sorry for what we had to do to you. We are sorry for the pain we caused you because of him. Steve is sorry for carving you up with the fork. I’m sorry for putting that barbed wire bat against your face and trying to rip every inch of skin off. Steve is sorry for sticking his thumb…you know… I’m sorry for tasting the blood flowing from your head, I know that really got to you…

The bottom line here, Colt, is that we wouldn’t have done those things if you hadn’t been in his corner. I know what you must feel like now, having dedicated your entire year to making sure he was okay. Making sure we wouldn’t kill him. You put your own career on the backburner for the last 12 months to make sure his wouldn’t end and what has that gotten you? Nothing at all. Now you have to start from scratch and work your way up the ladder to get titles shots and important matches because you were too busy taking care of a nuisance that doesn’t even belong here.

I know what you feel like. I kept it inside me for three years. But you have to know, it’s normal to feel this way…it’s good. And we’re here for you.

We were good friends before all of this started. You were like a big brother to me. And now I hope that we can put all of this behind us and get back that relationship. After all, after licking your blood you’re practically a part of me. And I want to be able to call you my sweet, dear friend again.

We love you man!


Don’t forget it.

Sincerely,


Kevin and Steve

P.S. I attached a picture for you. Do you remember that day? It was your birthday, Colt, in 2006. Mine was the next day… We went to L.A. to celebrate, hung out on the beach…Great times but imagine if the third person on that picture wasn’t the waste of space we all know. Imagine if it actually had been Steve! That’s the way it should have been...

*******************************************************************


The second I heard it, I got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I will never forget. So many things went through my mind...how could I end up in this situation? What can I do to fix it? Is it too late to change things? And most of all...how could I live without Ring of Honor?

All I wanted from the beginning of my wrestling career was to make an impact on as many people as I could and work for a company I would be proud to call home. Many promotions helped me achieve but in the past few years, my entire career was consumed by Ring of Honor. When my son was born I had to make some very tough choices and I had to reduce my schedule with wrestling companies that were very close to my heart but I chose to remain with ROH through it all, as difficult as it was, because that's where I felt I belonged.

But I made decisions over the course of those four years that greatly impacted several people. And a lot of them might never forgive me for those decisions.
I can't bring myself to list everyone I hurt and every bad choice I made. It would be counter-productive anyway. What I want to do is look to the future and make things right.

I've stayed in touch with the ROH product. I've read the results from the shows, watched the videowires. I even bought the iPPV's. And every time I'd watch, I would see exactly what I expected. The best wrestling in the world put on by the hardest working crew in the business.

But there's one thing I'd see that I did NOT expect at all. Steve Corino, standing in the ring, apologizing for his actions of the last year. A humbled Steve Corino, offering to help the up-and-coming talent. A Steve Corino desperate to make up for past mistakes, standing up for what's right.

I'll be honest, that blew me away. And what blew me away even more is the way the fans forgave him. They welcomed his new ways and accepted him with open arms. Seeing all this helped me come to a realization...I had to do the same.

I've wanted to send this letter for a long time but I never gathered the strength I needed to do it. Until now...

This past week has seen Steve Corino, my idol, ask for help from me. It has seen ROH officials declare that I am not welcome in New York City on Sunday. I really can't blame them for that.

But what I can do is ask for a chance to show them who I am now. A chance to come make things right. A chance to help my friend.

Jim, Syd, Ross...I know the last year was very hard for the both of you, with all the changes the company went through. And I know that my erratic behavior certainly didn't help. I'm well aware of the legal trouble I got the company into a few times and that I am possibly responsible for Cary Silkin's decision to sell the company. I can't deny the fact that I was out for myself and that I put myself before the company at all times. However, what you guys can't deny is that as risky and out of control as I may have been, I still created more memorable moments in 2010 than anyone else. You can't deny that I poured my heart and soul into my work. You can't deny that I gave 100% of my mind to ROH...I almost lost my mind in the process.

But these months away have done me some good and seeing Steve, and now Jimmy, act the way they do has been very eye-opening for me. I, too, am a changed man. I'm in better shape, physically and mentally. And above all else,

I miss ROH. I miss the people. I miss the fans. I miss the rush. I'm not asking for a new contract. I'm not asking for the company to commit to having me on the shows. I'm not a fool. All I want is a chance to come in Sunday, stand by my friend and show you that I can be what this company has wanted me to be this whole time. We can see where to go from there after...

One thing is certain. I will be in New York on Sunday. What remains uncertain is if I'll be in the building to support Steve, or if I'll have to support him by simply waiting by his car and hope for the best for him.

I want to be in there though.

Steve wants it...and the fans want it too.

You have the power to let it happen.

Thank you,

See you Sunday...

Kevin


***************************************************

Hello all.

 I feel like tomorrow night's C*4 event is a new beginning for me.

I heard the sound that signified my career in ROH was over and my heart sank. Actually, it felt more like it started bleeding.

I was with ROH for over four years. I saw a lot of people come and go. And I honestly never thought that eventually some of the newer guys would see me go...

After being knocked down the ladder of the title scene by Stup's victory over me last show (congratulations by the way), I feel like I need a new goal in the company.
And I have found it.
Over the course of the last few months I have started to give wrestling seminars around the local wrestling scene here in Montreal. It's my way of giving back to the wrestling world. I help whoever comes to the training to become a better, smarter wrestler and from what I hear, everyone thinks it helps them.

Those seminars have allowed me to meet and get to know some very good, young wrestlers that have the potential to go far, if given the chance. And I would like to help them achieve that.

That's why I requested to C*4 management that this Saturday, they allow me to give two of those young wrestlers I am talking about the chance to impress the C*4 fans and make a name for themselves here. But putting them against one another, in my mind, isn't enough.

It's one thing for two guys to have a good match. It's another for them to have a good match and manage to survive when they're in the same ring as one of the most sadistic, brutal and violent man to set foot in the squared circle in recent memory...me.

What I'm talking about is a 3-Way Dance between myself and the two competitors I chose to get this chance, Johnny Jack Spade and Urban Miles.

But, as most of you probably know already, there's already a 3-Way Dance planned for this Saturday's event. So, to make sure this doesn't get repetitive, I have asked C*4 to add another competitor to this match and they have accepted.

Just like Spade and Miles, he's also a young, hungry wrestler with something to prove. The difference between him and the other two, however, is that he has never attended one of my seminars, even if he could certainly learn a thing or ten from me.

I am, of course, talking about my little pal Mike Bailey. Good ol' Speedball. Or is it Spitball? 8-ball? Whatever.

So, there you have it folks. Tomorrow night, Four Corner showdown, first wrestler to get a pin or submission wins the match. This is the chance for Spade and Miles to make a strong, lasting impression on the best wrestling fans in Canada. It's a chance for me to hurt people, which I always appreciate. And it's a chance for Basketball to finally win a match...but that's a bit of a longshot.

See you all tomorrow night!

Oh, and Bailey...You might want to bring some bandages and stuff for your chest for after the match.

Just looking out for you bud...

So apparently, we can now confirm an unexpected match-up...

Kevin Steen's Invitational Four Corner Match

"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen
Vs.
"Speedball" Mike Bailey
Vs.
Urban Miles
Vs.
Johnny Jack Spade

The Devil on My Back

Dear Wrestling, It turns out I probably have ADD. It's nice to have an explanation for why I can't seem to update things like this...