Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Difficulty of Reality

Dear Wrestling,

Did you know that your eyes do this thing called saccades and that one thing it kind of means is that you never really see what you think you're seeing? Also your peripheral vision lacks color--your brain fills it in, sure, but the physical structure of your eye isn't doing that.

Basically our brains lie to us all the time about what we're seeing and feeling and experiencing, just to try to get through a freaking day.

I did my degree in Religious Studies, primarily in Buddhism and Eastern Religions. A few times in classes, it came up that this incredibly hard work of trying to become aware and present and awake? It might be bad for us. My mentor was quick to be honest: this might not be the best path for me or you. It might hurt more than it helps, and I can't know which it will be--you can't either.

I had some traumas when I was a little kid. Pretty bad ones, which I then did not quite remember until I was well into my twenties. That's a defense mechanism, and it worked outrageously well: I was a happy, active, smart little kid. I had a great childhood--the normal bullies and doubts and things, but overall I look back and it's all bike rides and long summer days and drinking out of the hose in Brandon Kincaid's yard...

This is a long way around to say, it's probably a good thing that it's nearly impossible to imagine what people in Syria are going through. It's probably, for us and our loved ones at least, a good thing.

It's not a prerequisite of helping that we become traumatized ourselves--or that we add to the trauma we're already carrying.

I've struggled to articulate why I feel so grateful to be able to help with Sami for Syria. It feels hideous on the face of it--am I grateful that these people are hurting? What am I, trying to put a white savior complex to work?

And no, of course not! But the situation is one of the worst in the world. It's hell on earth. To be able to give a little, and know that I'm paying for a bandage, or a splint--that's incredible. That is the keenest relief. Studies on PTSD and trauma are still pretty new, but one of the things we know is that being able to exert any control, however small, makes an enormous difference in one's chances of developing PTSD.

We're not, thank all good things, we're not helpless. It's not the politics, it's not grounding the warplanes or rebuilding homes (yet) but it can be the actual difference between life and death.

"I just think as our capacity as human beings, we’re limited to truly understand that suffering, unless we’ve experienced it ourselves. I guess my message would really just be, if you’re grateful that this isn’t happening to you and you’re in a position to help… well, now there’s this fund that is a direct line where your money, your donation, however big, however small, is a direct way to help people who are in a really bad situation that I would imagine you never want to find yourself in. 
So, to me, it’s as simple as that. If you think this is a horrible situation, which I think almost, universally, everyone can agree that this is awful that civilians of Syria have to deal with this, and if you ask, I’m sure nine out of 10 people, if asked, “Hey, don’t you wish you could help?” I’m sure people would say, “Yes!” This is a direct way for you to help that’s been set up for you. Not only by me and this fundraising campaign, but by SAMS who’s doing all the legwork and grunt work, of actually making this stuff happen. We’ve set up a very easy and very direct way for anybody to help."


Dear, dear wrestling, I love you. Donate a little, sleep some, and have a good G1.

Autumn

The Devil on My Back

Dear Wrestling, It turns out I probably have ADD. It's nice to have an explanation for why I can't seem to update things like this...